Sooo, I had today blocked off for my Cursed Child review, because I somehow thought that I’d have time to read four acts of a play during You’re A Good Man Charlie Brown tech week.
That was the stupidest thing I’ve thought in a while. I probably could have finished it, if I’d actually gotten it on Sunday, but I didn’t get it until Tuesday and now, it’s just not happening until next week.
I am about 50 pages in…Here’s my initial thoughts.
- Scorpius Malfoy is life. I’m obsessed with him. I hope he just keeps getting totally awesome and better.
- Albus’s teen angst makes Harry’s look mild. Seriously, so far I feel like his entire characterization is Harry’s from The Order Of The Phoenix and The Half-Blood Prince but without all the actual PTSD to justify the jerkiness. Kid’s just kind of a dick.
- Rose Granger-Weasley (love the hyphen) appears to have inherited the worst aspects of her parents/extended family. I…kind of dig that. She’s a haughty know it all over achiever, who’s a little bit clannish. And Scorpius is obsessed with her. (As I have already stated, I love him, so I love this.)
- HERMIONE. IS. THE. MINISTER. OF. MAGIC. I love this. I love that we didn’t know this.
- Time. Travel. This is a story about time travel. In Harry Potter. I can’t. I just, I can’t. This is a gift. A marvelous, beautiful, delightful, incredible gift. I’m going to savor it.
I’ll follow up next week, when I have time and energy to finish, but I am really enjoying the play so far.